Finished - simple vintage chambray.



Today I'm sharing with you my version of summer jeans - the chambray gathered skirt. This is the second time I've made this pattern, a cheeky little 80's skirt pattern featuring Princess Diana in the cover art from an op shop that set me back all of $1. My first version is still in circulation, one of my favourite makes ever, but starting to look tired, as rayon inevitably will with lots of love. This version shows the style lines a lot better, and clearly demonstrates how a different fabric type makes a massive difference in garment outcome.





Whilst fairly lightweight this chambray is still much bulkier than the rayon of version 1, and if I'd thought it through more I'd have removed some of the ease to reducing the gathering bulk. Anyhoo you live and learn. Next time! One of my favourite features of this pattern is the side panels and  in-seam pockets offset towards the front. So simple, but I love it. This version I added a button placket and centre front opening just to break up the chambray. 



I had been planning to play it safe with beige top stitching and wooden buttons, but basted with some lovely apricot thread and love the colour contrast. Instagram overwhelmingly voted for apricot so who was I to go against the universe? I found some beautiful terracotta/ochre coloured buttons and am thrilled with the finished product. 

Gathered skirt patterns really are everywhere - but those that stand out to me that would look beautiful in chambray include the Megan Nielsen Brumby (oh those pockets), the Named Lumme skirt (pleats!) or good old Simplicity 2451 if you'd rather no gathers or something sitting more on the hips than the waist. 

I've already worn this a heap - it's cool and comfortable and goes with nearly every top in my wardrobe. Winning. 


Photos by Anna (thanks lovely x)
Shoes are Swedish Hasbeens, handbag vintage Oroton and will need to be pried from my cold dead hands, singlet me-made rubbed off a RTW Witchery many moons ago. 












Comments